The objective of the certificate course is to equip the nurse or midwife with knowledge and skills required for their role in a modern fertility and IVF centre. The role of the specialist fertility nurse include initial assessment of couples, planning and carrying out initial investigations alongside the gynaecologist / specialist doctor, information counselling, assisting the doctor during egg collection and embryo transfer procedures.
It is a part-time course over a period of nine months. The course can therefore be done alongside your regular job. It offers a blended program with theoretical and practical components conducted online, residential intensive weekend lectures and practical sessions. Successful completion is assessed through regular assignments, keeping a log book of practical procedures, a short dissertation on a relevant topic and a final assessment test.
Who should enrol in this course?
- Registered Nurse or Midwife with a minimum of 2 years post-registration, previous experience in a fertility centre is not required
- Registered nurse or midwife currently working in a fertility centre but keen to broaden and improve their skills
What you’ll learn
- Detailed knowledge of human reproductive physiology
- Epidemiology of Infertility: Causes, prevalence, strategies for prevention, definitions
- Fertility investigations: male and female
- Ultrasound scanning as an important tool in assisted reproduction
- Basic and advanced fertility treatment
- Understanding IVF/ICSI: indications, treatment planning, ovarian stimulation, egg collection and embryo transfer
- Information counselling and basic support counselling
- Quality Management system in Assisted Conception
- Data management in assisted conception